Coats of Arms destroyed in the fire recreated in 1545
The original Coats of Arms from 1456, which had been created on the instructions of Philip the Good, were destroyed in the fire of 1539. It was long thought that the blackened rear side of the paintings were marks of this fire and that the originals had still be saved. However, this turned out to be a mould, caused by the damp conditions in the church. Dendrochronological studies, in which the wood is studied based on the annual rings, confirmed that they dated back to the sixteenth century.
Historic studies have shown that the church wardens in The Hague had filed a request for new Coats of Arms with Charles V. The new collection was completed in 1545. This history of development explains the heraldic errors and incorrect titles on some of the Coats of Arms.
- The Coats of Arms
- The Coats of Arms: fifteenth-century business cards
- Video – The Coats of Arms: fifteenth-century business cards
- How to decipher the escutcheons?
- Coats of Arms destroyed in the fire recreated in 1545
- Detailed description of escutcheons and Golden Fleece knights
- Philip the Good’s Coat of Arms
- North wall
- South wall
- Supervisory committee
- Art historic research